Monday, December 21, 2009

Turkey Day at the Millsap Farm



Please wait for the show to load, then click play on the bottom left
**warning, contains graphic content**

My mother is buying a turkey from Son Harvest Farm in Nixa, MO. By benefit of that fact, I was able to go to Milsap Farms thanks to the kindness of Curtis Milsap.

This, in turn, led to me completing one of my goals I had while I was visiting the parents for the holidays. I have never explored my home area with my camera, and so I wanted to find something interesting to do a personal project on. As it turned out, Curtis and friends were slaughtering turkeys today. Perfect, I thought. Not only could I take some interesting photos, I could show my mother where her food is coming from.

Curtis and everyone working with him were great and extremely accomodating, and I have to thank them for helping to make this possible. He and his wife have been running the turkey operation for 2.5 years, and operate under sustainable farming practices and really do respect the land and animals they work with. It was refreshing to see a young farmer be passionate about what they do simply because they feel it's right. Especially after seeing Food, Inc. I wondered how local people could combat the monstrosity that is the corporate farming machine. Curtis and his friends and family are a prime example and it was an honor to work with them.

As I said in the beginning, be warned. This slideshow is not for the squeamish. Also, bear in mind that it's a personal project. I was not interested in getting interview audio, the obligatory "nat sound," or any such related things. I made this for me, because I really wanted to take some photographs. So, if you can bear all of that, and the 3+ minutes of music from The Silence of the Lambs (courtesy of miss Jessie King's suggestion) then I thank you for watching.

5 Leave a comment:

Pat Jarrett December 21, 2009 at 8:52 PM  

Nice stuff-I've got some similar photos from Polyface Farms when they were processing chickens. Food Inc. was pretty awesome, eh?

Jessie King December 21, 2009 at 10:16 PM  

Soooo glad you didn't get audio, nat sound would be too ghastly. One picture is disgusting and the rest are really great, thanks for posting :)

Taylor December 21, 2009 at 11:42 PM  

I did not heed your warnings!

That final picture was just gorgeous.

El Gee December 29, 2009 at 12:42 PM  

Gruesome and gorgeous! I especially love the dog with the turkey foot in his mouth!

August Kryger March 23, 2011 at 3:42 PM  

I did not heed your warnings!

That final picture was just gorgeous.

Search This Blog

About me

Freelance photographer based in Columbia, MO.

I received my master's degree in photojournalism from the University of Missouri.

You can find me on Twitter under the username hawkryger if you're into that sort of thing.

View My Portfolio

Copyright Notice

All images ©2017 August Kryger or Columbia Daily Tribune

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP