Thursday, April 2, 2009

No place to call home

Aftermath


HERE is a link to my latest multimedia piece. It was a story I found thanks to Judy, a great woman who runs the local food kitchen for the homeless. I wish I could have had more time to work on it and shoot, but things don't always work out like that. Let me know what you think in the comments. The above photo is an outtake from the shoot. He came back to the shelter right as it was closing. According to him, he went down to the river to sleep and got jumped by three gang members as an initiation. After he got two of them down, the other hit him in the face with a brick. The cut was still bleeding several hours later, but he didn't want to get stitches. I'll never stop thinking stories like this are important. No matter how much some people may think this has been done, or there's nothing new, as long as there are homeless people there is a problem with society. I hope I get more opportunities to show that with my camera.

3 Leave a comment:

Taylor April 2, 2009 at 11:52 AM  

This is an amazing portrait...you can see his entire story in his eyes.

That sounds lame, but it's true.

Gemma-Rose Turnbull April 2, 2009 at 10:25 PM  

August, that is both a beautiful photograph and a beautiful sentiment.

zach April 12, 2009 at 8:47 PM  

The photography is strong. You're getting really good. I like the story idea, but I feel like the multimedia story doesn't focus enough. Just brushes on the surface of a large problem/issue. So, there are sections where the imagery doesn't work perfectly with the audio. However, I realize there's never enough time up there and considering it's a fine effort. I'd like to see you spend more time with one of these guys. There's probably a really good story and strong project involved.

Search This Blog

About me

Freelance photographer based in Columbia, MO.

I received my master's degree in photojournalism from the University of Missouri.

You can find me on Twitter under the username hawkryger if you're into that sort of thing.

View My Portfolio

Copyright Notice

All images ©2017 August Kryger or Columbia Daily Tribune

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP