Tuesday, April 6, 2010

"They leave the mess for me."

Potter 2


Potter 2


Potter 2


These are a couple more images from my time spent with Potter. It's been about a month since I've seen him. Because he has no phone, I have to just hope that the 30 minute drive will end up with him being there. The last three times he wasn't. This time he was there, and was happy to see me. I'm always nervous when I go back, because typically I'm the only person he sees for long periods of time. Though he's much more comfortable with me, there is still that apprehension every time I go. It was great to see him in decent health, though one of his dogs is on her last leg of life I think. Recently a crew of men came by and scavanged a lot of the scrap metal laying around his place. They left behind garbage, aesbestos insulation, and several days of work for Potter. "They take and take and I get their leftovers," he said.

7 Leave a comment:

katie April 6, 2010 at 10:45 AM  

august, i'm so glad you're working on this story. it looks like it's going to be really great.

Anonymous April 6, 2010 at 11:02 AM  

Nice stuff, man! The first one is gorgeous. Is there any more of him cleaning up the mess of the scavengers?

August Kryger April 6, 2010 at 11:25 AM  

Thanks Katie and Jakob!
Jakob, he couldn't start cleaning it up yet because it started raining hard. That image is of him looking at all the garbage right before it started raining. Hopefully I'll be able to get out there this week and catch him working on it.

Anonymous April 7, 2010 at 6:03 PM  

I like how this is coming along. I look forward to the completed project. Just curious, how did you go about finding him? He doesn't seem like a man that wants to be found.

photophanatic1887 April 7, 2010 at 11:38 PM  

wow August.. what an amazing story.

August Kryger April 8, 2010 at 10:05 AM  

John, I used good ol' curiosity. I was driving along the countryside and saw what looked like an abandoned town. I stopped to check it out and his dogs came running at my car. After a short conversation, he called his dogs off and we started chatting more. One thing led to another and now I've visited him many times.

August Kryger March 23, 2011 at 3:41 PM  

I like how this is coming along. I look forward to the completed project. Just curious, how did you go about finding him? He doesn't seem like a man that wants to be found.

Search This Blog

About me

Freelance photographer based in Columbia, MO.

I received my master's degree in photojournalism from the University of Missouri.

You can find me on Twitter under the username hawkryger if you're into that sort of thing.

View My Portfolio

Copyright Notice

All images ©2017 August Kryger or Columbia Daily Tribune

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP