Thursday, June 25, 2009

Bad Boy's Boxers

Bad Boy's Boxers from August Kryger on Vimeo.



This was my final multimedia piece for the News-Press. Much to my surprise, it ended up being video. Going in to the internship, I was fairly limited as to my knowledge of video. Coming out, I feel fairly confident that I can put together a decent video piece on just about anything if I need to. I can solely attribute that to the genius of my editor Todd Weddle, and chief photographer Eric Keith. These guys showed me the ropes and then some. Throughout my internship I was really lucky to get some veteran teaching along the way. That kind of stuff is priceless.
An important lesson Todd taught me was that like it or not, video is here to stay in photojournalism. If we hope to be competitive and not go down with the rest of the relics who resist change to the bitter end, adaptation is essential. This is something I struggled with at first, and then embraced wholeheartedly in the end. Thanks guys.

I found this particular story while driving around town. Galen "Bad Boy" Brown is a professional boxer who runs a free boxing club on the South End of town. The doors are always open. He said he hopes to use boxing as an avenue to get kids off the streets. It's a short piece, but it meant a lot to me to work on this story. Love to hear your feedback in the comments section. Thanks for watching

5 Leave a comment:

Gladstone June 25, 2009 at 9:08 AM  

very, very solid. Glad you didn't leave your eye at home. Was this shot on the N-P's Sony, or a Mark II?

I'm digging the moving portraits at the end, too.

Rhea June 25, 2009 at 2:32 PM  

Great job-the guys should be proud to see it in the paper! A good way to end the internship! Continue with the good works up there!

Taylor June 25, 2009 at 5:05 PM  

Agreed about the moving portraits...and the way you used the focus on the hand wrapping. So beautiful. I wanted to steal a still of it, haha.

John Schreiber June 26, 2009 at 7:04 PM  

I like that you didn't pose your interviewees in a boring head-on position. Each one had a different pose and different feel to it (as well as good lighting).

I don't think video is any different than what you normally do-- just get good light, good composition and good moments... then just add the elements of motion and sound (then again, easier said than done).

My only criticism is the piano music during Riley's interview. I'm not against music in videos, but I don't think you needed it there. I think his story was compelling/ moving enough. But that's a minor criticism for an overall great video.

August Kryger March 23, 2011 at 3:43 PM  

Agreed about the moving portraits...and the way you used the focus on the hand wrapping. So beautiful. I wanted to steal a still of it, haha.

Search This Blog

About me

Freelance photographer based in Columbia, MO.

I received my master's degree in photojournalism from the University of Missouri.

You can find me on Twitter under the username hawkryger if you're into that sort of thing.

View My Portfolio

Copyright Notice

All images ©2017 August Kryger or Columbia Daily Tribune

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP