Monday, May 25, 2009

In honor of...

Memorial Day 2009


Today is set aside as a holiday to honor those men and women who help our country when it is in need of protection. Some give their lives for our protection. Others are fortunate enough to live long and storied lives. My grandpa served in the Navy during WWII. The photo on the left is the last one I ever took of him. I've met very few people as caring and full of life as him. The photo on the right was taken on Sept. 2, 1945, when Japan surrendered to the U.S. My grandpa watched the peace treaty being signed from his boat, the one in the center. My mother said he never talked much about the war. He joined when he was 16, though you legally had to be 17 (he didn't provide a birth certificate.) He worked on the carrier the St. Mary's doing maintenance on the planes and guns until the war ended.

I am very fortunate to have been able to get to know such a great man. If you have relatives who have been a part of keeping our country free, please thank them today.

1 Leave a comment:

Rhea May 25, 2009 at 4:07 PM  

It is truly wonderful you did this for Grandpa today-he was very proud of you-will always remember how impressed he was with the way you got them on the plane out of Dallas that day in 2003!! We love ya!

Search This Blog

About me

Freelance photographer based in Columbia, MO.

I received my master's degree in photojournalism from the University of Missouri.

You can find me on Twitter under the username hawkryger if you're into that sort of thing.

View My Portfolio

Copyright Notice

All images ©2017 August Kryger or Columbia Daily Tribune

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP