Sunday, April 19, 2009

The battle of 1863

Civil War



Civil War



Civil War



This was easily the most difficult and challenging photo assignments I've had so far. I spent several days with Civil War reenactors from throughout the U.S. They set up camp, established military order and prepared for battle. I spent the first day watching them set up. Then I returned at about 5 a.m. to make sure I was there fore reveille. Then it rained... a lot. I had to keep shooting though, using a plastic bag over my camera and hoping for the best. Throughout the time I was there, these guys were some of the friendliest most hospitable people I've worked with. So if any of you see this, thank you for helping me out. They really do live as close as possible to the reality they're portraying for a few days, something I would have a hard time doing I think.
Unfortunately after all of this I only had a few hours to put together a multimedia slideshow. Looking back, there was audio I had, but didn't include, photos that I would have put in, but really I was just too tired to do all of that in time. That's one of the drawbacks of our fast-paced, "need it now" mentality in this culture. By rushing things, they get put out there, but at a great cost...quality. So, with that, HERE is a link to the slideshow and the story written by Jimmy Myers (who helped me with Final Cut when I really needed it.) Above are a couple that made it in, and one that didn't.

6 Leave a comment:

katie April 19, 2009 at 2:05 PM  

nice work august... some great images and they pair up with the audio really well. i feel like the audio could've been louder, not sure how close you held the mics... why does the byline on the html page say jimmy myers?? looks like an exhausting weekend... take a nap, you deserve it!

August Kryger April 20, 2009 at 9:48 AM  

Thanks Katie! Yeah, I should have boosted the audio a little more. Sounded fine after export but when it got on the web it seemed to lower some. And, it says Jimmy myers because he wrote the story, but at the end of the slideshow it has my name. Appreciate the comments.

AK

Anna April 20, 2009 at 7:11 PM  

Aug I think you did a fantastic job! I was quite impressed with the photos, esp considering the circumstances and weather! Great job!

Ryan Gladstone April 26, 2009 at 10:57 AM  

These are really solid

August Kryger March 23, 2011 at 3:43 PM  

Aug I think you did a fantastic job! I was quite impressed with the photos, esp considering the circumstances and weather! Great job!

August Kryger March 23, 2011 at 3:43 PM  

These are really solid

Search This Blog

About me

Freelance photographer based in Columbia, MO.

I received my master's degree in photojournalism from the University of Missouri.

You can find me on Twitter under the username hawkryger if you're into that sort of thing.

View My Portfolio

Copyright Notice

All images ©2017 August Kryger or Columbia Daily Tribune

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP